The latest release of our data logging software includes many new device profiles:
By selecting your scale or balance and clicking on the set default parameters for device button, you can easily set the required default interface parameters and the terminator:
This also works in the control tab when polling the weight from the balance using a timer. With one click, you can set the command to request the weight immediately:
Visit the download page to get the most recent release of Simple Data Logger.
We’ve added an “MT-SICS” device profile for scales and balances which support the Mettler Toledo Standard Interface Command Set:
As an alternative to the ClickOnce installer, you can now download an alternative .msi Windows Installer Package (requires .NET Framework 4.7). Please note that settings are not shared between these two versions.
Further improvements in Simple Data Logger version 1.2.0:
- On high DPI displays, the licensing tab contents are now resized correctly.
- The TCP/IP protocol setting has been removed (it will be reintroduced when we add support for protocols other than ASCII/”raw TCP”), which enabled us to decrease the vertical size of the application window.
- Minimum window sizes have been increased to ensure the application is still usable.
- A warning is shown in the event log when polling is enabled, but no polling command has been entered.
- An update notification is now shown in the status bar when a new version is available.
We’ve also updated our EULA and the message shown when the free version of the software is started to clarify that use in an organization (including academic institutions and non-profits) requires a paid license. You can easily purchase licenses online through our partner FastSpring (your license key and invoice will be generated automatically).
Note: If you’re already using Simple Data Logger, you may have to update manually to use the new features. Normally, the ClickOnce version can update automatically but we disabled this by mistake in the previous release. Simply go to the download page and click on install.
Version 0.7.2 of our data logging software includes tested* device profiles for the following scales made by Adam Equipment:
- CBK, *GBK, GFK (GK indicator): We recommend setting “C8 LAb” to “off” in the menu of your scale, particularly if you’re using continuous transmission mode “Ct StA” oder “Ct AnY”).
- *CPWplus: Set the scale to “trn 2” for continuous transmission or to “trn 3” to use polling (or the print button on the scale).
- GBC, GFC (GC counting indicator): You can choose to capture the weight or the number of pieces. *We’ll receive a GBC counting scale later this week for tests.
These new profiles make it easy to set the default RS-232 parameters and the command to poll the weight: simply press the “Set default…” buttons (available in the Device and Timer tabs):
Please note that our software works with most scales and balances even if no pre-defined device profile is available yet: choose “Generic measuring instrument” and set the interface parameters and the polling command manually (your device manual should contain the necessary information). If required, you can also customize the regular expression SDL uses to match and capture data. Further information is available in our documentation.
If you’re a manufacturer and would like us to to include your measuring instruments, please contact us and send us the necessary information (or devices for testing):
- RS-232 interface parameters and/or default IP port number.
- Data format, including the terminator/delimiter (data has to be sent as ASCII, but we will need a precise description of the format so that we can can capture the measuring value).
- Available device modes (e.g. manual transmission, automatic transmission on stability or in intervals, continuous transmission, command mode, etc.).
- Polling command (which tells the instrument to send the measuring value immediately; weighing instruments should send the net weight).
Simple Data Logger just became significantly more powerful (and useful): You can now modify the regular expression used to match and capture data.
This is best explained with an example. Let’s say your scale sends the following data every time you press the print button:
Balance ID: 8336507294
Balance Type: STX421
Balance Name: Scout
Sample Name: OBJECT 1
Gross: 123.4 g G
Net: 123.4 g N
Tare: 0.0 g T
However, you actually only want to record the net weight. This can now be achieved in SDL by clicking on the customize button in the device tab:
Adding “Net:\s*” ahead of the original regular expression ensures that only lines where these characters appear before the weight are matched. SDL then uses a capturing group (subexpression) to capture the numeric value (weight).
SDL always captures the data matched by the first subexpression. You must therefore include a subexpression (in parentheses) in your regular expression.
For further information, please read this blog post describing the same functionality of our 232key software.
We’ve also made the links in SDL clickable and made sure that user settings are automatically transferred after updating.
Finally, we’ve relaunched our website, making it significantly more interactive (try it out and leave a comment below). We’ve also moved it from simpledatalogger.com to smartlux.com/sdl.
New Kern DE (parcel scale) device profile.
As of version 0.2.0, our Simple Data Logger software can communicate with Ohaus scales and balances equipped with an Ethernet interface. The Ethernet interface is a convenient substitute for the dated RS-232 interface.
In the Device tab, simply select “TCP/IP” and enter the IP address of your scale:
Please note that the Terminator setting from the COM port group (above) is also used for TCP/IP connections. We’ll update the user interface in a future release to make this clearer.
For further information on how to use Simple Data Logger, please refer to our documentation.